{solsc} 31/31 #sol18 The Story of… a Challenge Complete

I love a good challenge – always have.  I thrive on the motivation and discipline it takes to meet a goal head-on.

The Slice of Life Challenge is just that type of goal.  I’ll admit, about five days in, I said to myself,

“Ugg, I don’t have time for this.”

But we all have the same 24 hours in a day.  It is how we choose to use them that matters.  If it’s important, we will MAKE time.

Writing is important to me.  I am a teacher who realizes that teachers are learners first.  These 31 days of writing have transformed my writing.  I see myself as a writer; I understand the gift of writing.

S – Step into the shoes of writers – not just “professional” writers, but as teachers, we step into the shoes of our student writers.

L – Look all around you for ideas and inspiration – cherish the small moments in life.

I – Ideas don’t come packaged in pretty boxes with perfectly tied bows.  Writing is the way to ideas.  Writing is thinking on paper.

C – Communities of writers make writing come alive.  We know the importance of an authentic audience for our students.  I have learned a great deal by reading the slices of other writers.

E – Encouraging other writers makes writing flourish. This audience is supportive, encouraging, and positive.  It notices little things that we ourselves failed to notice.  I will carry this over to my classroom.  I don’t need to “fix” my student’s writing; I need to nurture it, encourage it, and notice what the writer did that moved me.

I look forward to Tuesday slices as an opportunity to spend a longer amount of time on each slice.

I am grateful for the community this challenge provided.  I will continue to connect with familiar writers each week.  A big thank you to Joanne Toft and Jess Carey for encouraging me daily.  I hope next year I can pass this gift along to a new slicer.  🙂

5 thoughts on “{solsc} 31/31 #sol18 The Story of… a Challenge Complete

1. I love how you said “We all have the same 24 hours in a day. It is how we choose to use them that matters.” Wise words for sure. Your poem puts the Slice Challenge into perspective too. Congratulations on reaching the finish line.

2. Hooray! You made it. Congratulations!

But we all have the same 24 hours in a day. It is how we choose to use them that matters. If it’s important, we will MAKE time.

Make time for what you value. I’m so happy you found value in writing this month.

3. This challenge has also proved to me that it’s all about choosing how to spend your time. Your poem ties together so many of the benefits of daily writing. I’m going to keep making time for writing, too. See you around!

4. The point that you make about cherishing the small moments is my favorite in this post, I think. It’s so true that for me, daily slicing is an opportunity to look back on the day, and to harvest the moments that mattered. See you on Tuesdays!